- Birth is perceived as a normal physiologic event, not a medical procedure or emergency.
- Complete control over birth environment (noise level, lighting, number of people present) which leads to increased feeling of safety and ability to cope with labor.
- Freedom to labor the way you want to. Women feel much less inhibited in the privacy of their home.
- Increased bonding with baby, partner and other children.
- Formation of a relationship with midwife and doula which enhances the birth experience.
- Reduced chance of intervention by care provider.
- No temptation to take pain relieving drugs.
- No interruption of labor by a trip to the hospital.
- No routine medical procedures done to baby.
- Strong support of breastfeeding and immediate contact between mom and baby.
The largest single American study of planned homebirths with a trained attendant has been published!
Here are some links to information about homebirth.